Successful mentors will:
- Make the time to invest in regular meetings with the intern and will keep confidential notes of key outcomes.
- Help their intern evaluate and reflect on challenges.
- Give honest feedback and lots of encouragement.
- Keep an intern accountable for their own self-care.
- Discuss the intern’s relationship with God and their devotional times.
- Pray for the intern throughout the programme.
- Complete the ELC online Mentor training sessions.
- Partner with ELC for the duration of the programme, complete all reports on time and adhere to the College’s Code of Ethics.
Mentor responsibilities include:
- Offering support, encouragement, advice and a caring sounding-board for the intern who will probably face many hurdles over the course of the programme.
- Meeting with the intern every month and providing an opportunity for truthful sharing and feedback.
- Praying regularly for the intern.
- Holding the intern accountable to a self-care plan that the intern themselves have created.
- Completing a quarterly report. This information, along with other feedback, is used to track the intern’s wellbeing, relationship with co-workers and self-care.
Download the Supervisor and Mentor Handbook to learn more about the role of a mentor.